Tuesday 21 May 2013

BMW PGA Championship, Wentworth - 2013

 The Europeantour hits the UK this week for the first time this season for its showcase event, the PGA Championship. Its a top, top quality field too with all the European "defectors" to the US PGA Tour returning for a crack at one of the elite titles and a decent purse. I have often said on this blog that Luke Donald doesn't win enough for me but that's not the case here as he goes for 3-in-a-row. He was also 2nd in 2010, so its obvious he loves this course and the bookies agree that he is the man to beat at 8/1. I've been looking at this pric sinc early Monday morning hoping it would go out but there does seem to be some support for him. Wentworth is a course that will suit Lee Westwood but he's a bit short this week. He does seem to be in good form since arriving back in the UK. His horse won a race in Windsor last night and he even took to twitter to tip up Ireland to win the Eurovision on Saturday night! (Thank God, he plays golf better than he can pick a singing contest winner). A fan of Lee's I maybe but this week there is one player at the head of the betting that I really do like and thats Rory McIlroy. His game is gradually beginning to click and from tee to green, Wentworth will be to his liking. 11/1 with Paddypower is decent for me and he heads my staking plan this week for a win bet. Rory may have his issues off the course at the moment with news that he is to leave his management company, Horizon, but perhaps that is what is required for Rory to kick on.
The one thing that I am looking forward to this week is proper golf coverage on my TV. Don't let me down now Sky, but watching the PGA Tour the past few weeks has been quite frustrating, with limited player viewing. A lot of people would love to see a SKY dedicated golf channel in the UK & Ireland, myself included, but with the tour hopping around the world and buying rights for the PGA proving costly, that may be a bit too far off for our liking. That said, the tourney is in England this week, its a big event so I'm looking forward to seeing a proper golf viewing tournament this week. Its also another reason why I'm skipping the Colonial from my staking plan this week. The blog has not had much luck on that tour despite being well in contention going into the final round almost every week, but the TV viewing adds salt to the wounds.



I've been looking at Martin Kaymer for this week and have missed the 40/1 on offer. I want to be onside but despite a good effort in Texas last week, I'd rather see Martin challenge again before I get involved. He has mixed form here too but again a course that suits his game. Instead I'm taking a chance with one of my favourites Ross Fisher. This is his home course and almost won in 2009 when edged out by Paul Casey. One of the defectors to the US Tour this year, Ross has produced some decent rounds across the pond without challenging but he'll be relishing being back home and will be quietly confident. 66/1 with 6 places is decent value with Paddypower.

My third pick is another favourite Alex Noren who I was on in  Malaysia, Korea and China. He is playing well and may not feel the "pressure" to win as much this week as he may have done in Asia. He has course form at Wentworth but I feel this time round, the Swede is a much better player and he too is backable at 66/1 with Betpack

My fourth pick is Victor Dubuisson @ 100/1 with Bet Victor, whom I tweeted as my first pick on Sunday night as I thought this price would come in. It has but is still available now with Betpack. The Frenchman has been quite impressive this season and is destined to have a bright future on tour. Only 23 years old, he is certainly one to watch out for. (and his caddy !)This is a much tougher assignment this week but he has the length and accuracy off the tee to go well here and last year had a decent top 30. That price is generous and is well worth taking.

TIP 1: 2.5 pts WIN Rory McIlroy @ 11/1 Paddypower

TIP 2: 1 pt e/w Alex Noren @ 66/1 Betpack

TIP 3: 1pt e/w Ross Fisher @ 66/1 Paddypower

TIP 4: 0.5pts e/w Victor Dubuisson @100/1 Bet Victor,Betpack

No comments:

Post a Comment