Tuesday 17 May 2022

PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa Oklahoma

 The PGA Championship looks set to be a cracker this week where there are so many in with a great chance of winning which in turn suggests we probably won't see a triple priced winner at a course that looks set to play tough. Southern Hills GC is the venue this week and the course looks like one that a strong T2G game is required.

It's an event I'm looking forward to viewing more than speculating on and in a selfish way I'm delighted that reigning champion, Phil Mickelson is missing so we can avoid the unnecessary interviews with him, about him and the bloody LIV. Tiger is here though so whilst he does bring a different aspect in terms of how will he fare, I'm hoping TV coverage provides us with a fair share of footage and not Tiger constantly.

I think Rory McIlroy can break the losing Major streak this week...He's been simmering for a while and if he does get a solid opening front-9 under his belt on Thursday and is within touch after that opening 18 I think he's going to go very close, I also think JT will have a solid week and he should take confidence from his 8th place finish at Augusta to bring into Major week and kick on in the Majors and add to his solitary Major, winning the Wanamaker Trophy back in 2017. They're my two at the top of the marker to be onside with but there's no denying that Jon Rahm's game is ideal for Southern Hills nor do I dismiss the chances of Slam-chasing Jordan Spieth, Patrick Cantlay, Morikawa and Scheffler.

Down the market I do like Daniel Berger at the price (50/1 - 10 places) as well as Cameron Young @60/1 - 10 places (but would take less without these number of places- not so sure 60s is value but I'm happy to take here) and I did take a couple of looks at Justin Rose @100/1 - 10 places given he has solid PGA Championship form and course design related form before deciding against inclusion.  JR has let me down at Augusta a few times although he prevailed for me at Merion but I'm not so confident he can do it this week. JJ Spaun was considered as too were Sepp Straka & Tyrrell Hatton (but we can't back him in a tense Major can we?)


Selections


3 pts WIN J. Thomas @ 18/1
2 pts e/w R. McIlroy @ 16/1 - 9 places
1 pt e/w D. Berger @ 50/1 - 10 places 
1 pt e/w C. Young @ 60/1 - 10 places

No comments:

Post a Comment