Wednesday 4 April 2012

Masters 2012

The most eagerly awaited Major is finally here with the Masters kicking off Thursday at Augusta National. So many players are in great form at present that it makes this year's event the most entriguing and exciting in years. Tiger Woods goes looking for his 5th green jacket, Phil Mickelson his 4th! Both players are fantastic records at the Masters, even Tiger finished in the top 4 last year in his most disappointing season to date. He simply loves the place and comes here after winning at Bay Hill. No qualms seeing him set off as the favourite and certainly no qualms seeing Paddypower returning all losing WIN bets places before Thursday if Tiger wins. Thats a great offer and cannot be ignored. Will he win ? He sure could but at that price I wont be backing him, I'll take some better value with the good feeling that should he win I'll get some of my money back.

I would love to put up Padraig Harrington on the blog this week. I wrote the post believing the Dubliner was about to win again but last weeks showing in Houston wasn't he best preparation but he has done this before too. As I stated before I have him backed at 66s, he can be got at higher prices now, but that will have to be a side personal bet for me and not one for the blog. I do however, want to back a player that alot of people are labelling the choker and that's Lee Westwood. The Englishman has fine form at Augusta and whilst the putter needs to be hot this week so too does the driver and there is none much better than Lee in this department. Winning Majors takes patience - he has this and perhaps the argument can be made that he has shown too much of it recently instead of "going for it". He has been ultra consistent in Majors the past 3 years and I fully expect to be up there again this week.

Adam Scott finished tied 2nd last year with Jason Day. I think he may just go well again this week. Hopefully the putting lives up to the requirements needed to land the jacket. Steve Williams on the bag is a plus and will keep the Aussie focussed and in the zone to contend. Would have preferred slightly better odds but he has to be on the staking plan.

Third selection is Bradley Keegan. Not 100% convinced he can win but he has shown he what it takes to win the big ones. Winner of the PGA last year and recent good form means he has the tools to land it. he has finished well in the tough ones this year already and that means for me he will come into this confident. Debutants don't normally do too well here but doesn't always have to be the case.

I'll take a fouth selection in the form of defending champion Charl Swchartzel. The South African is playing very well and will be surrounded by great South Africans, Gary Player, Louis Oosthuizen, Tim Clark,Trevor Immelmann,and Rory Sabbatini. No Ernie Els though and that may just inspire the lads to play well this week.


So no Rory McIlroy for me either. I dont like to look of his draw to be honest. Second last group out on Thursday and partner with fellow bombers, Bubba Watson & Angel Cabrera. A recipe to get sucked into a driving "match". As an Irishman though I'm be shouting him on as well as Padraig and GMac and if he does come through the first 2 days in touch with the leader I may just back him to finish ahead of Tiger Woods.

Others to watch for me are Webb Simpson, Y E Yang, Matt Kuchar, and Patrick Cantley and I would not be the least bit surprised if paul casey puts in a good showing.

TIP 1: 1 pt e/w Lee Westwood at 20/1 Paddypower

TIP 2: 1 pt e/w Adam Scott @ 33/1 Paddypower

TIP 3: 1 pt e/w Keegan Bradley @ 30/1 Paddypower

TIP 4: 1pt e/w Charl Schwartzel @ 45/1 Paddypower

No comments:

Post a Comment