Tuesday 24 May 2011

BMW PGA Championship 2011

Top class field assembled for this week's tournament at the revamped Wentworth Course. Luke Donald, who was beaten by Ian Poulter in the final of the Volvo World Matchplay last week heads the betting. He is in great form but for me does not seem able to close it out too often and for that reason alone I wont be backing him. Best odds of 15/2 certainly dont entice me anyway. This is a course where accuracy along with length off the tee is key so that should mean I would be all over Lee Westwood. 9/1 best odds for a quality field of this calibre are just a tad bit small for my liking. That said, having reviewed the winners enclosure the past couple of months, form players and favourites are coming in, so he should be considered.
Course is a key factor here and that means I have to stick with Ross Fisher. I know, I know, I keep putting him up and he hasn't done too great this season but thats purely down to limited involvement in my eyes, just 9 starts which included 2 matchplays, the Masters, the Players and a WGC event. Ross has been close in this a few times, almost reeled Paul Casey in back in 2009 with a closing 64, stark contrast to a closing 80 2 years previously when par would have seen him in a play-off. Two top 10s to boot and the home player should be at ease here, despite the little added pressure of dropping outside the all important top 50 World rankings. 33/1 is still good value for proven "horses for courses" selection and is my first tip for the event with Paddypower.
Second up is yet again another favourite of mine (despite the fear of losing regular readers of this blog-I can hear the groan before I announce the name), Alex Noren! Has been in great form and this is the type of course he excels on, has brilliant form here and has early tee time Thursday to perhaps get himself up the leaderboard early on. Incredible odds of 80/1 with Paddypower have to be taken, with the added incentive that 6 places are on offer.
I wanted to put up Thomas Aiken too, but am aware of siding with my favourites once too often. He did finally win a couple of weeks back and I missed him ! So I missed him, and relunctantly will have to pass, but he too likes this course and has great form in the event. I also want to back Paul Casey @ 30/1 but am not overly happy about his form so the final selection is going to recent maiden winner, Nicolas Colsaerts @ 66/1, also with Paddypower. The big hitter is showing a lot of confidence now with the first win under his belt and really should have made it to the final last week before being pegged back by eventual winner, Poulter in their semi-final. He will take solace in that performance last week though and can very well contend at very big odds in my eyes here at Wentworth.

TIP 1: 1 pt e/w R.Fisher @ 33/1 (Paddypower)

TIP 2: 1 pt e/w A.Noren @ 80/1 (Paddypower)

TIP 3: 1 pt e/w N.Colsaerts @ 66/1 (Paddypower)

No comments:

Post a Comment