Wednesday 21 February 2018

Qatar Masters 2018 - Doha GC

Last week was extremely disappointing ! It was an event I was eagerly anticipating yet my final shortlist was not even remotely near. From my preview I, nonchalantly perhaps, mentioned the chances of Luiten & Wood! On reflection, price should have seen me get involved with the latter.

Whilst Richie Ramsay withdrew before teeing it up, not only did Luiten go on to edge out Wood for the title but Rock & Gallacher also performed well in finishing 4th & 9th respectively. A huge opportunity was missed but hopefully some lessons are learned. I did say whatever unfolded in Oman would most likely carryover to Qatar so let's see.

"If I'm looking at the course type credentials of Gavin Moynihan, I should be weighing up the chances of Soren Kjeldsen, Richie Ramsay, Eddie Pepperell, Richard Sterne, Jamie Donaldson and Chris Wood. I could throw in the likes of Robert Rock and Stephen Gallacher not to mention Joost Luiten as well. Chris Wood is an interesting runner this week, his price is big but perhaps reflects recent injury concerns and slow return to form.A former winner in Qatar, Wood will be looking to ignite his season the next fortnight"

I was hoping Gavin Moynihan would make the cut last week and he looked to be on course after an opening 71, but whether it was the pressure to get the required score or not, remains to be seen, but missing out on the number was disappointing.

Having checked the entry list for Qatar, I have noted he is first reserve and should he make the field, I'll be going in again, hopefully at a better price then last week. Wind should be a factor this week and that will play into his strengths here. If Qatar over the years has constantly awarded strong links players, then he will be in his comfort zone.


(edit - Gavin Moynihan confirms he is jetting back to The Middle East to tee it up for Qatar Masters ! He may be knackered but hopefully he unleashes the adrenaline on the 10th tee and without course knowledge just play freely)



From my shortlist, I have to stick with last week's thoughts that Doha GC will favour strong links type players who can handle a bit of wind. History supports that suggestion too as we have seen many links type players prevail here. I am kicking myself still for not backing Chris Wood last week but I can't pull the trigger at nearly a quarter of the price this week either. As alluded to in last week's preview, Wood has already ignited his season in Muscat,so he has to be left out for this. Paul Lawrie excels here, can we dismiss him lightly given recent form and age? No, we can't. Both Bubba Watson and even Darren Clarke proved that last week with their respective performances and he has to be considered here in this field. A TOP-20 price of 8.00 is hard to ignore! Robert Rock is half the price and maybe due to his 7th last week but there's no denying his links form either but I'd prefer the Scotsman over him. Another Scot withdraw before the off last week but could be worth siding here in the shape of Richie Ramsay despite no real form here over the years. He's made plenty of cheques here for sure without challenging and much like his other compatriot, Stephen Gallacher, perhaps should have produced better results. I'm hoping it's not a successive week that I leave out a player who I have a gut feeling for, but Ramsay is left out on the basis that there is some unknown recent form to doubt (6th in Dubai is niggling at me though)

I backed Charlie Ford in Oman for T-20 but he finished with two shots too many in a tie for 26th. He's forgiven as form is decent and he can oblige me this week here @ 8.50 (9.00 on the exchange) in the same market again. Recent returns of 26-11-8 are encouraging so he's on the team.

For my outright selections the market leaders are all there for the taking so I'm playing a bit of value in Marcus Kinhult @85.00 and 7.00 for a TOP-10. The Swede can handle links, he proved that at the Lytham Trophy two years ago as well as in Oman both last week and at the Challenge Grand Final last November, and his form of late is positive having finished 12th in Oman and 16th at Glendower GC in his last two starts. The 21 yr old is an up and coming player and is a winner in waiting on the European Tour. 

My other selection this week may not represent "value" but I'm backing Alexander Bjork @ 42.00 in the outright and 5.00 for a TOP-10. First in scrambling in Oman last week, the Swede has been solid consistently for awhile now and although he has three missed cuts in 2018 already, he has made up for those posting figures of 12-6-2 in Oman,Dubai & Hong Kong. Like Kinhult, Bjork is a winner in waiting and he nearly did so at Fanling but for two late bogeys. His strong showing in Dubai in a much better field can only strengthen his belief he can win soon.



Selections

0.50 pts M. Kinhult @ 85.00
0.50 pts A. Bjork @ 42.00
0.20 pts G.Moynihan @ 810.00

2.30 pts M. Kinhult TOP-10 @7.00
2.00 pts A.Bjork TOP-10 @ 5.00
2.00 pts C.Ford TOP-20 @ 9.40
1.00 pts G.Moynihan @ 19.50 










No comments:

Post a Comment