Wednesday 1 September 2021

Italian Open 2021 - Marco Simone GC, Roma, Italy

 The venue for the the 2023 Ryder Cup hosts the Italian Open this week as European players make a last minute push for Pádraig Harrington's Ryder Cup 2021 team. That venue is the Marco Simone Golf Club.

Matty Fitzpatrick heads the betting and whilst he may be the best player in the field, his price needs to be reviewed before looking further down the entry list. He has shown in the past that he likes to win this time of the year and he's bound to go well here for sure but I'd prefer a bit more value in the price to pull the trigger.

Based on the methods applied during 2021 here on the blog, I am inclined to stick with players backed of late and especially here with Alexander Bjork. The Swede was disappointing last weekend when it did look after Thursday's round that he could be poised to challenge but his price is better here for a course that I think he may just prefer over last week's. I did suggest he could be worth following over the next few tournaments and so I'm keeping him on side for this week again. At 66/1 - 7 places he's my first bet of the week.

I mulled over putting Justin Harding up again this week but despite his price drifting out from last week's, I'm satisfied that I can omit here and instead side with  Calum Hill at 41/1 for the win and I'll take him in the TOP-10 market @ 5.70. His form has been stellar this year, culminating in a win at The Cazoo Classic last month before following up with a 7th place finish at Crans last week. From his 19 starts in 2021, Hill has made 15 pay cheques, posted the win along with a further 3 T-5s from his 7 T-10s and 9 T-20s. The 5.70 about another T-10 here entices me in and the 42.00 about for the win holds some value also.

I was delighted to see Matthew Jordan feature on the tv coverage in Switzerland and even moreso the opportunity to monitor his demeanour and attitude on Sunday when in contention..... and I was suitably impressed. The young Englishman is definitely one on the up and like Bjork, is a player I'm more than happy to keep on the staking plan for another week even moreso @ 70/1 - 7 places.

Lastly, I'm gonna take a chance on Thorbjorn Olesen again despite dipping in form after the Canaries Swing. Top quality golfers have bounced back many times over the years and whilst the Dane has bigger personal obstacles go overcome in December, he might find some inspiration this week having won this title back in 2018 and having finished runner up in 2011 when closing with a -10, 62. He won his first European Tour  title at the Sicilian Open the following year (2012) so it appears a visit to Italy has been good for him and I couldn't let the 125/1 - 7 places go abegging in the hope the winning formula for Thorbjorn lies within the pasta or gelato that he'll enjoy in Rome. 

Maybe if we get the winner this week, a celebratory drink might be available at my cousin's bar, Scholars Lounge Roma  !! Just tell em,Seán sent ya 😉


Selections

1 pt e/w Alexander Bjork @ 66/1 - 7 places

1pt e/w Matthew Jordan @ 70/1 - 7 places

1.50 pts WIN Calum Hill @ 42.00

2.50 pts WIN Calum Hill @ 5.70

0.50 pts e/w Thorbjorn Olesen @ 125/1 - 7 places 




No comments:

Post a Comment