Wednesday 1 September 2021

Solheim & Ryder Cup 2021 - Inverness Club, Ohio & Whistling Straits,Wisconsin

 I haven't much confidence in a European victory in either the Solheim or Ryder Cup this year. I'll certainly be glued to the TV watching both and in particular to see Leona Maguire make her debut in what will be the first of many Solheim Cups. Having seen Leona and her sister Lisa play at the Junior Solheim Cup at Knightsbrook GC in Ireland, we can expect a strong performance from the Cavan girl this week and she brings solid 2021 LPGA form into the week. I do however feel the USA are far too strong and expect them to win this comfortably.

As the fallout on Bryson continues, something tells me USA are shooting themselves in the foot before they even start at Whistling Straits and a team that will feature both he & Brooks Koepka will be an unsettled one. This is where Steve Stricker can show his leadership though and if he gets the pairings right next Friday week, it should see them go on to win. Like Leona Maguire, fellow compatriot, Shane Lowry will make his debut and he will bring a strong "dressing room" presence to the team not that Team Europe need any further improvement in that department. I write this ahead of Pádraig's picks being revealed but I'm sure he'll be picking Poults, Rose & Garcia. Jon Rahm made his debut in 2018 losing both fourballs he played but he did see of Tiger in the singles as Europe romped to victory and he'll be the talisman this year no doubt. Viktor Hovland will make his debut alongside Shano and will sure to feature but I do fear despite the experience of the team, that they may find this USA team to have the strongest team for awhile and it really is for me a matter of Stricker getting the pairings as well as the singles matched up right whilst coping with the "BDC factor"...for me, I'd put him out in fourball as the 4th pairing on day-1 with perhaps Patrick Reed or possibly JT or Collin Morikawa but his involvement or lack thereof could prove critical for TEAM USA. 

All in all, I do think Europe will be up against it and therefore I'm backing the USA double @ 2.52


Selection 

5 pts DOUBLE USA to win Solheim Cup/USA to win Ryder Cup @ 2.52

No comments:

Post a Comment