Wednesday 11 April 2018

Open de Espana 2018 - Centro Nacional de Golf Madrid

Little time for a preview this week but I decided to get my selections on the blog regardless. It's not quite a new course but it's certainly welcoming to see the Open de Espana back on the Europeantour schedule as its seems ludicrous not to have such a prestigious tournament included. It's a little disappointing to see Sergio Garcia absent this week but having made efforts to get his National Open up and running again, I'm confident there are reasonable reasons why he doesn't tee it up this week.

Instead Jon Rahm leads the home challenge and I have to admit I can't see past him here this week and have decided to back him @ 5.50 He honed his game here at this course whilst attending college and the Madrid homeboy is very determined to add his National Open to complete as he says on the Europeantour website, to complete the "final stamp" having won the Spanish Golf Federation National Champion for the ages of under 16, 18, 21, and all ages. "I think it’s four or five different categories that I am champion of and some of them a couple of times.To be able to link my pro and amateur career by getting this final stamp would be amazing." He produced his best Major result to date at Augusta last week and those exploits should not be counter-productive to his chances here to accomplish one of his goals. He won't have flown home in economy class on Iberian Airlines, will be freshened up and raring to go on a course that he has more knowledge on most of the field. He's miles above anyone else here and he's worth half of my staking plan this week in my eyes.

I'm completing my stakes this week with two TOP-20 selections in Erik Van Rooyen & Jin-ho Choi @ 5.00 & 9.00 respectively. The South African has 3 TOP-20s from his 6 starts this season whilst the Korean has 3 from 8. Van Rooyen's 3 may all have come on South African soil but he's value @ 5.00 for me here in this market on a course that could to be his liking. His stats are very strong in the SG:TTG and SG:APG and GIR(ranking 2-7-2 for this season) suggesting if this course is going to suit big hitters and those that find greens then he may have a good week. Choi tends to make more cuts that he misses, and is chanced at a decent price to add another TOP-20 for the season here to follow up on his 9th place finish last time out in India.

Staking Plan


5.00 pts J. Rahm WIN @ 5.50
3.00 pts TOP-20 E. Van Rooyen @ 5.00
2.00 pts TOP-20 J.Choi @ 9.00


No comments:

Post a Comment