Wednesday 23 March 2022

Corales Puntacana Championship 2022 - Corales GC, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

 I've no betting interest in the WGC Matchplay and despite having a great interest in playing matchplay myself at club level over the years, I don't think the TV viewing is worth the time either so whilst I will probably tune in for some action over the latter stages its not an event that grabs my attention. Instead I'll have a play at the Corales Puntacana Championship to be played in the Dominican Republic where I cannot ignore my namesake @ 80/1.

I'm still smarting for not backing Sam Burns last week as mentioned in the blog as he was one I considered, but I fell short on time last week as my family headed off for the extended St. Patrick's Day holiday. It's not the first time either that I've fallen into this trap, so a lesson was learned to get the bets on and if stuck for time simply post a one-liner on the blog. That said, whilst my blog posts are becoming shorter and shorter, the same procedure each week hasn't changed where I make my own tissue, create a shortlist and focus in on the value. Writing the post to reason the selection is becoming more of a challenge for me but I'd rather spend more time analyzing and placing my bets. In the case of Max McGreevy, he is a pick based on name, a name that doesn't appear on world sports stages very often and although not a relation (well, maybe he is if we go back far enough).He played well in Puerto Rico to finish 2nd and gain some invaluable FedEx Cup points and has followed that result up by making the cut at the Valspar last week. A field more akin to a Korn Ferry Tour event this week gives the Oklahoma kid another opportunity to produce a decent result and the 80/1 is just about fair

Winner here two years ago and a 6th when defending last March, Hudson Swafford has since won again as lately as last January when winning the American Express. Four missed cuts in his five starts since the win is not encouraging for sure but with a weaker field and a course that he has proved to be to his liking, the 40/1 with 7 places is just about fair enough and enough to get him onto the staking plan.

I've added Mark Hubbard on the back of solid form shown on the aforementioned KFT when finishing 5-6 in his last 2 starts on that tour sandwiched by 38-15 on the PGA Tour. The 30/1 - 6 places is of real interest. Finally, my last selection for the week is a chance at 44 yr old Jonathan Byrd who has shown a real return to form this season having posted a T10 at the AT&T Pro-Am and a T-20 in Bermuda, two coastal tracks which we have here in Punta Cana. The 125/1 - 7 places is value for a player who has won 5 times on the PGA Tour and who has a posted best finish of 4th here in 2019 behind Graeme McDowell

Selections


1 pt e/w M. McGreevy @ 80/1 - 7 places
1 pt e/w H. Swafford @ 40/1 - 7 places
1.5 pt e/w M. Hubbard @ 30/1 - 7 places
0.5 pt e/w J. Byrd @ 125/1 - 7 places

No comments:

Post a Comment