Wednesday 31 March 2021

Texas Open 2021 - The Oaks,TPC San Antonio

Jordan Spieth heads the betting market this week following the withdrawal of late entry Dustin Johnson. The local boy has shown a return to some form in recent weeks and is sure to play well here with The Masters looming next week. Whilst I wouldn't be surprised if he does prevail here,there's a number of others I thought were of decent value to challenge.

I do think Charley Hoffman will contend following steady improvement the past month and with his course form so strong he is hard to ignore. Perhaps I'm greedy but I wanted a bit more towards the 50s before pulling the trigger on a player that has never won as often as he should have done when at his peak. Instead I'll turn my attention to a player I've put up twice already this year in the hope his tee to green game can steer him towards a good tourney. Adam Hadwin tends to play better at harder courses where par is good. Form has been up and down but the Canadian contingent are playing well of late and he could be either inspired or motivated to get his season into gear. 8th last time out at The Honda following a TOP30 at Sawgrass leaves Hadwin simmering nicely for a good week and with the field assembled here he should fancy his chances. I certainly do @ 66/1 - 8 places!

Bernd Wiesberger hasn't shown much form of late but in his 6 PGA showings to date this season, he's made 5 cheques with a best placed 4th at the RSM Classic. The Oaks should suit the Austrian and I thought there was plenty of value @ 125/1 - 8 places for him to prove he should be comfortable on this course amongst this strength of field.

I did want to have an interest in Ryan Palmer and Cameron Tringale but the latter continues to be priced rightly by the layers whilst perhaps, again, I'm too greedy in expecting bigger for the former @ 28s. ( I wanted 33s min). I'll complete my staking plan with a stab at Akshay Bhatia @ 200/1 - 8 places. The 19 year old Californian was last seen at Pebble Beach posting a TOP30 but he did post a TOP-10 at the Safeway Open back in September. ( an event that has shown to collate with this one in the past) He's a decent price here where he could find the Oaks to his liking.

Selections
1.5 pts e/w A. Hadwin @ 66/1 - 8 places
1 pt e/w B. Wiesberger @ 125/1 - 8 places
1 pt e/w A. Bhatia @ 200/1 - 8 places 

No comments:

Post a Comment